Friday, March 26, 2021

The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: Day 021

Sunday, February 27, 2021

Recipient:
David, Walgreens, Evans & S. Marion

It's Sunday, 9:45 PM, and I've got to go out and find a stranger.
*sigh*

Walgreens is one of the few places one can find the Twist of Lime variety of SkinnyPop Popcorn, and I'm running low, so I decide to drive over. The store appears empty except for the cashier and another employee.

Two bags of popcorn. One package of cotton squares. Zero strangers.
I don't know the cashier, but I recognize him from prior visits. He's nice. 
Is that enough of a reason to give an award? No. Maybe. I don't know. 
It feels like cheating somehow. It feels like I'm failing. 
Oh well, I say to myself, maybe it's good enough to give the slip of cardstock because maybe it will brighten his day.

I move to the side so I can write out the thing but before I do it occurs to me to say:
"I'm just curious; do you like working here?"

He responds:
"This might sound weird, but I like giving good customer service. Making sure people are happier when they leave than when they arrive."

Fan-flippin'-tastic.

We talked some more. Walgreens is just one of his three jobs. He spoke with great pride about working at Sweet Cooie's, where they have chosen him specifically to train new hires in how to offer excellent customer service. Then he let me take his picture, and it was time to go.

 David, mission accomplished.





 

No comments: