Saturday, March 13, 2021

The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: Day 010

Monday, February 15, 2021

Recipient:
The little girl in the parking lot @ King Soopers, University, Denver

Kids are masters of unfettered joy.
She was prancing around the produce section, and then dancing and skipping her way through the parking lot with her mom as Mike and I headed to the car with our bags.
It made me laugh out loud.
*ding-ding-ding*

I was in the car, urgently scrawling the award message when Mike noted, "You better hurry up, they're about to drive away."
Oh.
Well, who doesn't love sprinting up to a complete stranger and her child as they're about to drive away from the grocery store?

I reached them in time and handed the message through the partially open car door with a quick explanation that I was pretty certain wasn't sufficient reassurance of my good intentions and general sanity. 
No pictures were taken.

This is the part where, yet again, we practice letting go of the outcome. 
I have no control over how my gesture is received and that's not what this is about anyhow. 
The giving is the point, full stop.

Since "practice" is the operative word, I was too busy navigating myself away from a shame spiral to notice what was happening until Mike poked me in the arm and pointed it out -- Mom and kid merrily waving at us as they rolled past. That was nice.

Still, when we both turned left out of the parking lot, I intentionally switched lanes and let them get ahead of us so it wouldn't feel like we were following them. No sense in pushing my luck.


No comments: