Saturday, March 13, 2021

The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: Day 011

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Recipient:
Darina O'Hagan

"For the text that made me smile, the creativity and spirit that inspires me, and the friendship that continues after meeting one time, 12 years ago."

March, 2009: I was feeling restless and wanted to do something different to celebrate my 40th birthday. That "something" ended up being a week-long solo trip to Austin, staying at a hostel on South Lakeshore Boulevard.

It didn't take long to meet some folks and start spending time as a group, going out to hear live music, wandering around the U of T campus, or hanging out in the common room. Darina was one of those people.

She was a world traveler, documentarian, and all-around-creative person who was kind and gracious. 
We exchanged info, like you do when you meet while traveling, and kept in touch over the years via the occasional Facebook exchange or text.

This past December I got the idea in my head that I'd finally make good on my many threats to write by way of sending a Christmas card. When I pinged her for a good mailing address, I didn't expect more of a response than that. People are busy and it had been a long time. I was just tickled when she offered a bit of newsy catch-up in addition to her address.

This is the beauty of it all. 
Free of expectations, when contact or connection comes, you can receive it as the gift it most certainly is.


Darina

The lake

Phil, Matt, Ruben, me












No comments: