Friday, September 8, 2023

The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: No. 076

Friday, September 8, 2023

Recipient: Mama and four month old baby @ Steam Espresso Bar, Platt Park






nub·bins
/ˈnəb(ə)nz/
noun
NORTH AMERICAN (witt dialect)








plural noun: nubbinses
        a child under the age of 12 months
        "the nubbins had just figured out how to insert her whole fist in her mouth"


Mama and the nubbins were sitting outside as I was leaving; I couldn't help but pause to say hello. Evidently, the little one had decided to forgo their morning nap, so Mama decided a trip to Steam was in order. We chatted a bit and I thanked her for letting me get my nubbins fix. "It just makes you feel better, makes your day," she observed, and I agreed. I continued on my way home, smiling. Halfway down the block I came to a standstill because a tug-of-war was taking place in my brain.

Smiling! That meets the brief of the BRIGHT SPOT Awards.
Well... 
We do feel a little lighter than we did a half hour earlier, yes?
Yes, and, we've already walked away. Wouldn't it be awkward to double back now? 
Maybe, although...
Parents and children. That can be tough. They might think we're a creepy weirdo rather than a kind stranger.
Our heart is in the right place, though. That's bound to shine through.
The real question is about motivation. Are we moved by the experience, or by the need to get to the finish line?
Come on. We've always been a sucker for the nubbinses. 
Fair point. So what do we do now?

I had to sit down on the wall in front of someone random person's house, check in with my mind and heart. The pull toward daring was stronger in the end. This project, which started out as a way to shake off the pandemic blues and turned into a calling, deserved my best and bravest effort.

I wrote out an award, walked back, handed Mama the award, explained a bit about the history of the project, took a picture (with permission) in such a way to uphold their privacy, and headed down the street again.
...

Additional Musings:

The more I think of it, the more gratitude I feel toward the nubbins's Mama. She responded with such grace, and showed genuine interest and care. I walked away energized and full of gladness for having taken the risk. 

Thank you, Mama, where ever you are. I am wishing you a wonderful day. 
I am also wishing the both of you a restful, restorative night's sleep.

1 comment:

VeritableSaintOfBrevity said...

Dropping a note to say I love this award and the work you put into it :-)

--Garret