Friday, September 1, 2023

The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: No. 073

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Recipient:
Karma @ Bonnie Brae Ice Cream, Bonnie Brae







First of all, you may have noticed I have given more than one award to someone who works at an ice cream shop. That may lead you to believe I frequent ice cream shops more than the average bear. 
No comment.

Second of all, can we just take a moment to revel in the awesomeness of our awardee's name? It's simply perfect and I will use it as often as possible. 

On the day in question I am driving past Bonnie Brae Ice Cream on my way home from a beautiful walk through the Denver Botanic Gardens and do a double-take. No line! This is unusual. Then again, this is also a Thursday morning at 11 am and perhaps not everyone is game for ice cream as breakfast. Except perhaps me.
No comment.
I've also never stopped in before (usually because every other time I am passing by there are 100 people waiting to be served) so I follow my spontaneity and circle around the block to find a place to park.

Karma greeted me warmly and made sure I knew in no uncertain terms that she was there to assist, whether it was to explain what was actually in the ice cream if the name didn't make it clear, or to offer up a sample, whenever I was ready.

After a sample of Triple Death Chocolate I decided to get a split single of that flavor plus Mocha Oreo on a chocolate waffle cone. (A no-holds-barred order for the perennial spoon and a cup gal.) Then -- and I truly love this -- Karma asked if I had a preference regarding which flavor was on top. I let her know how much I appreciated the question as it showed an attention to detail that's wonderful for people who are...particular. She said that even when someone does not express a preference, she will make a considered choice that she thinks will be best in terms of the tasting experience.

It's this thing that gets me every time. A person doing an everyday job in such a caring way that it elevates it to something special. I appreciated being the recipient of Karma's thoughtful service and told her as much. She told me she truly enjoys the job (shift lead), and that after being there for a year, she now has regulars, people offering to let others go ahead of them so she can be their server, and kids asking if she remembers their preferred order, which she does, and all of this is delightfully unsurprising.

P.S.: An Honorable Mention goes to Jake, the other person behind the counter. He took over Karma's customer so I could give her the award and get home in time for my appointment window with ADT, about which I had completely forgotten.

P.P.S: The ice cream was rich and delicious, the waffle cone was sturdy and tasty. Two thumbs up.

No comments: