Friday, September 1, 2023

The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: No. 071 and No. 072

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Recipients:
Angie (071) and Norma (072) @ the Denver Botanic Gardens (York Street)





Salad in hand, I was searching in vain for an open table at the DBG's Hive Bistro, a delightful open air affair overlooking the lotus pond. I sat down on the stairs, thinking I was out of the way, and then realizing I was very much in the way of anyone who actually needed to use the handrail. I stood up again and surveyed the sea of occupied seating and wished there was a communal table.

A moment later, two women offered me a chair at their table.

I offered to remain an unnamed occupant if that was their wish. I didn't want to intrude. I also let them know I was open to a conversation and left it up to them. They chose to chat.

I found out Angie and Norma are pals who met in Texas. Norma is from here originally, moved to Texas, and then moved back. Angie was visiting Norma to escape the heat and catch up. They were having a grand time. We talked about a variety of things: the movies they'd seen, the consequences of the pandemic, and the current state of political affairs, Norma's travels as a minister.

For that brief time, they graciously expanded their close-knit circle of two to include a third. I am smiling right now as I remember how lovely it felt to be in the presence of these intelligent, open-hearted people. Their gift continues to give.












No comments: