Thursday, February 25, 2021

The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: Day 002

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Recipient: 
Unknown neighbor with ceramic bird, Platt Park

Second day, first conundrum:
There are days when I don’t leave the house.
(Yes, it’s a terrible idea. Extroverts make lousy hermits.)
Now I’ve got to walk out the door and find a stranger. I put on thirty-six layers to go for a chilly stroll in my neighborhood. Where I do not pass one. single. living. soul.

I do, however, pass a little aqua ceramic bird someone has affixed to a platform under a tree and which I have admired on other walks. I grab that bit of cardstock and write on it an additional note:
Every time I pass your little bird, it gives me a smile!

Now, where do I leave the note? On the platform, under a stone so it won’t blow away? What if there's snow and it gets wrecked? Will the owner ever even see it? Maybe I can find the owner’s house and pop the note into their mailbox.

I settle upon the most likely candidate.
The house does not have a mailbox at a safe distance on their sidewalk, but a mail slot.
Which can only be accessed by walking up their front stairs to their front door.

Ohdear. In for a penny, in for a pound.

With note, best intentions, and all the nerve I can gather in hand, I pop that note into their mail slot and move away in my most nonchalant what-who-me-no-not-committing-a-crime-nothing-to-see-here-sort of manner.

Thoughts:
When the going gets tough, the tough get creative.
A bright spot can be a person, place, or thing. Just like a noun.













No comments: