Friday, February 19, 2021

Introducing The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: A 100-Day Challenge

 

Have you ever heard yourself think something sooooooo many times that you felt like telling yourself to stuff a sock in it?
 
I arrived at that peevish place with myself recently. 
The irritating bit of mental grit was this:
“I love talking to strangers.”
 
Well, duh.
I know that.
Everyone – anyone – who has known me for five minutes could tell you that.
And I have known for a long, long time that not only do I want to have those experiences, but I also want to share those experiences with other people via some artistic project.
 
So when those words happily ambled through my cerebrum for the umpteen-trillionth time, I’d had it.
 
“Oh, this again. ‘I love talking to strangers, blah blah blah.’ I’m sick of hearing it. So WHAT? What are you going to DO about it?”
 
[cue lightning strike]
 
I decided to give myself a challenge:
For 100 days, if a stranger did anything (directly or indirectly) that made me smile I would give them a little handwritten note thanking them for being a bright spot in my day.
 
“It’s got talking to strangers, it’s got gratitude, it’s got paper arts – three of my favorite things. Perfect! Right up my alley!”
 
Naturally, everything went very smoothly from there. I handed out one award every single day, I made scrupulously detailed notes, and I promptly posted those findings on this here blog.
 
[cue crickets]
 
What, no takers?

 
Fine. That’s not quite what happened.
My intention going forward is to write some catch-up posts to document my experiences up to this point.
Stay tuned!

No comments: