Saturday, March 4, 2023

The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: No. 060

Thursday, August 4, 2022


Recipient:
Valerie @ Soulstice, Rockport, MA









First of all, I just need to brag on this shop.

I have been coming here for years, always a fan of their silver jewelry. 
Love their goods, love their store, love their sign.

Naturally, when we were visiting Massachusetts over the summer, we had to make a trip up to Rockport and stop by.

Valerie, the owner, was working on the forearm of another patron when we came in. (Mike had a funny moment of thinking, "My God! She's got nerves of steel!" as the young woman in the chair barely blinked while getting her tattoo, until he realized the tool was a long narrow metal-tipped bottle and not a needled drill.) 

I had been thinking of getting a tattoo of the spiral I designed (and now use on the BSAs) on my wrist; now I was thinking I could have Valerie create a temporary tattoo as a trial run. 

She was amazing! She nailed it --  not an easy feat, given the small size and fiddly negative space of the design -- while answering my questions about jagua ink and her business.

Her artistry allowed me to experience my idea in real life, without the permanent consequences. 

(Now that I have, it's time to find someone to do the real thing in Denver.)





No comments: