Tuesday, June 27, 2023

The BRIGHT SPOT Awards: No. 067

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Recipient:
Meghan and Linus (?) @ E. 14th and Ogden, Capitol Hill






I was texting back and forth with a guy from Craiglist to make arrangements for pickup of a cute little drop-leaf table. I let him know I was on the way.

Me: En route!
Him: Great
Him: Let me know when you arrive and I'll come down and let you in.

Let me in? I don't know about that. Doesn't sound precisely safe.

So, after finding a parking space and wedging my tiny car into it, I did the common sense thing and STOPPED SOME RANDOM LADY WHO WAS WALKING HER DOG TO ASK IF SHE WOULDN'T MIND WAITING OUTSIDE WHILE I COLLECTED A TABLE FROM UNKNOWN CRAIGSLIST DUDE.
You know, in case he was an axe murderer.

And I would have asked, after waylaying her and explaining the situation.
She beat me to the punch by offering to wait outside until I emerged safely.

Said offer was rendered moot when I called him to notify him of my arrival. He came out onto his balcony and said he'd bring the table down, at which time my "friend" and her dog took their leave.

A small yet staggering act of kindness. It bowled me over. Which was helpful, because the next part was awkward: Hurriedly writing out the award, running down Ogden, crossing E. 14th, and flagging her down once she was in hailing distance. Then writing her name in. Then giving her the award. Then letting her know about the blog. Then asking if she would be OK with my taking a picture. Then taking a picture of Linus because she was camera-shy.

I am left with a warm feeling as I recall this generous gesture.
(I am also left with a stunned feeling because it didn't occur to me until way, way after the fact that I could've said, "Naw, man, I'd rather not go into a stranger's apartment by myself; perhaps we can come up with another solution?" instead. Note to self: Bookmark that topic for a future blog post.)

No comments: