Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Late Bloomer's Club: An Introduction

Do you feel like a chronic underachiever?
Does it seem as though you are woefully unsuccessful compared to your peers?
Do you feel like you haven't gotten around to really living?

Me, too.

I was sitting in my room at the window, thinking of how little I've accomplished in my life, as measured by 21st century American standards: fabulous career, long titles followed by several sets of professional acronyms, house/husband/2.5 kids, etc.

Then I thought, "Hey, do I really care about that stuff? What are my values? Who do I want to be? And is it too late?" My wise inner voice responded, "It's never too late. Unless you continue to watch 5 hours of TV per day and eat whole pints of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting. Then you'll never actually know because your brain will liquify then dribble out of your ears, and your feet will turn purple and fall off." Graphic, but point well made.

So. I am making a committment to setting aside some quiet time every day to explore those questions. The prospect scares the crap out of me, quite frankly. But the alternative? Definitely worse. And who knows? Maybe somebody else out there will look at my rambling/stumbling/blossoming and say, "Oh, for Christ's sake, if she can make something out of that mess she calls a life, so can I."

Welcome to the Late Bloomer's Club.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Could we start with a little inquiry?

"My life is a mess."

Is that true? C'mon.

Can you absolutely know that is true?

How do you react when you believe that thought? (Make a list - a long list.)

Who would you be without that thought?

Turn it around. Check every opposite of this idea you can find. Are these opposites at least as true, if not truer, than your original statement, "My life is a mess?"

I rest my case.

~ Ann